Thursday, February 18, 2010

Personal Stlye is Raw Vision

Raw Vision is Personal Style. Don't you agree? Those of us who have the idea to wear something that draws us in, for reasons other than seeing it on someone else, we know what personal style is. It's walking into a boutique/store and feeling like the walls are closing in and you can't live without whatever you see. (Let it be known that there is a difference in being a compulsive shopper and being a "fashionoholic".) Those times when you feel like you would be letting down yourself and the designer if you don't completely indulge in their collection. We have had them and its a feeling that is damn near incomparable. I love it. This is also where raw vision comes into play. Yes, of course, we see Beyonce's heels, Kanye's jackets & blazers, and GaGa's overall appearance, but we are not tearing down shops & online stores to find what they are wearing because they are who they are. It's ultimately the feel. I love finding what I want and pairing it with an ensemble that will make myself proud. I love looking in the mirror and feeling I couldn't be touched with a 10 foot pole. Just that bad.

For instance, there was this one time where I had the urge to buy shoes! Hmmm, that was an amazing day. There was no special occasion. Just the feeling to have shoes on my feet that would explode with orgasmic foot satisfaction. I was at work doing a 9 hour shift at Sears & the mall was right across from me. It was either lie to take a break by saying my stomach hurt OR stand at the register until lunch time. (A Sears break is 15 minutes; more than enough to go through one store.) Needless to say, I did take off with "a stomach ache" and these were the shoes I purchased. The studs & chains added an edgy sex appeal that I was looking for while the heel fit my already 5'11 height to make my legs even more sexy than they are naturally. =) I pair these booties up with skinny jeans, tights & leggings, and pixie skirts for a more flirty look. Items like these are definitely must haves for the fashionista of today. And gladly there are more people out there like me.

I have researched and found that designers don't always dress like the clothes they make because the raw vision of their style pours from within. After being called "one of the most audacious and auspicious talents in contemporary fashion" by Contemporary Fashion, I have no doubt about the work of Stephen Burrows. He was one of the first African Americans, since Ann Lowe, to become a famous fashion designer. He continues today to exude the talent of matching colors and cuts to perfection.

This photo is enough to show that he embodies personal style in his everyday life and in the work he creates. He made a mark unimaginable through his work and I am sure when others saw him, they saw the talent on his skin. Even though times where fairly tough during his start in the fashion world, (1961-62, Philadelphia Museum College of Art & 1964-66, Fashion Institute of Technology), he stayed true to what he loved and worked vigorously to accomplish his goals.

Before founding and directing Burrows Inc in New York City in 1973, he worked for Weber Originals, Allen & Cole, The O Boutique, and Henry Bendel. With that experience its no wonder his designs have come a beautifully long way.


Taking advantage of the ideas you have go far beyond paper. When there is a love for fashion & style inside of you, there will be nothing but yourself able to keep you from its benefits. So I say why not love it and show it. Shine a light and give that light to others through what you say, the things you create, the life you live, and, most importantly, the way you dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment