Monday, January 11, 2010

The Coming of Me

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that
will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creature of the commonplace, the slaves of ordinary."
-Cecil Beaton, Photographer & Fashion Designer
Although there is already a slew of designers and soon-to-bes, I feel the need to make my mark. I recently realized that this is an urge that will never go away. I know that I've always had a feel for making new things and feeling the satisfaction within myself from someone else enjoying the work I do. I want that FOREVER. There's nothing like receiving a "Good Job" or "Wow, that was great!", especially on something you have worked so hard on. Its almost unparalleled. So, I decided to take on fashion school.

FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising) was my first choice and after feeling out other schools websites, I made the decision. Its in Downtown Los Angeles and since it is the most accessible, I gave it a once over without question. To my surprise, there is a lot more than that perfect placement in my city. I expected there to be much more disappointments there, as I have had the same experiences with other schools. I made my way to the school after 3 years of trying to keep appointments and keep job schedules and I was extremely pleased with the outcome. And on top of everything else, I have so much support. From people on Twitter, Facebook, and of course, my family. The staff at FIDM isn't half bad either. My admissions counselor, (I don't know if I should mention her name), has been absolutely wonderful. She has been calling me since I first requested information in 2006-07. She called me right before the beginning of each quarter to see where I was in life and if I made any arrangements to check out the school. I made appointments but it seemed that life wouldn't let me keep them. This time, failure is not an option. I met with her recently and made plans to start school in April. My major will be Merchandise Product Development (the middle man). I am prepared to make it happen and nothing or no one can do anything to stop me. I am on a mission.
"The most courageous act is to think for yourself. Aloud."
-Coco Chanel, Fashion Designer
I want to make it with a bang. People will hear my name and say that I was about my business. I know I have what it takes and even though obstacles come and go, I want them to know that in me is where they won't c0me to stay. I see my place in this industry and whether its behind closed doors or standing at the forefront, I will be there, with an open mind, heart, and open hands. I am ready to think aloud. Show my face. Show my talent. And, ultimately, take all the criticism I am sure will come along. With all that, there is one question that still remains in my mind. Is the world ready for the coming of me?
"If you are not in fashion, you are nobody."
-Lord Chesterfield

No comments:

Post a Comment